Oshawa Centre (Oshawa, Ontario) will expand and renovate at a cost of $230million. The mall will expand by 75,000 square feet and renovate 185,000 square feet of current mall space. When done, the mall will be about 1.25million square feet and will have 60 new retailers.
Construction starts this summer and is expected to be finished by Spring 2016.
According to landlord, Ivanhoe Cambridge, these are the ‘project details’:
- Over 60 new retail concepts, including two additional large format retailers
- New 1,000-seat, sophisticated food court
- New main entrances on the east side
- New and updated entrances on the west side
- Upgraded seating area elements, including floor and ceiling treatment
- Fully renovated washrooms with modern upgraded finishes
The mall was build in 1956 and currently has 230 stores under about 1.1million square feet. It has the largest ‘Boathouse’ store in Canada.
Oshawa Centre includes the following anchor stores: A 122,624 square foot Hudson’s Bay store, a 123,281 sq ft Sears store and anchors including Staples, Chapters, Old Navy, H&M and Sport Check. An 89,000 Target store will open in a former Zellers location, opening date to be announced.
Ivanhoe Cambridge appears to be in an expansion and renovation mode. We previously reported on its expansion of Vaughan Mills in the suburban Toronto area. As per our article this morning, malls are changing and only the ‘best’ Canadian malls will survive.
[Source: Retail Insider Gregory Huzar, who provided this press release (in .pdf)]
Oshawa Centre website: http://www.oshawacentre.com