A new survey by Vibes, a mobile engagement platform, says more than 40 per cent of consumers say they would share more data to get more personalization.
The survey also found that younger consumers prefer SMS from brands over email, and show significant enthusiasm for using Mobile Wallet on their smartphones.
“Consumers are telling us that they’ll gladly interact with brands on their smartphones, as long as offers are personal, timely and relevant, and if they allow them to take the next step to using a mobile wallet”, said Jay Hinman, Vibes’ VP of Marketing. “Nearly 70 per cent of consumers already receive text messages and push notifications from brands on their phones, and younger consumers in particular are saying that they love it, with many saying they want even more.”
Other findings from the survey include:
- Younger consumers say they now prefer SMS (32 per cent) over email (26 per cent) as their primary channel of communication from brands, and that 28 per cent of consumers under age 40 actually cited a frequency of too few messages as a reason to stop receiving communication from a brand;
- More than 40 per cent of smartphone users say the information they’re willing to give a brand in exchange for better personalization includes their zip code, their name, their mobile phone number and zero-party survey data;
- Mobile Wallet, a wallet on the smartphone that allows consumers to pay for items online or at the register, is taking off in popularity, particularly among younger consumers aged 25-54. 54 per cent of this group say they’re either already using or are interested in using Mobile Wallet to store items such as digital offers and loyalty cards – a terrific opportunity for brands looking to bridge the engagement gap between high-reach, low-engagement channels like email and low-reach, high-engagement channels like a brand’s own mobile app;
- More than 70 per cent of smartphone users even said they are likely to save and redeem personalized mobile wallet offers or coupons that are enhanced with their name, and that are tailored to their personal shopping preferences.
In this video interview, Hinman discusses the reasons behind the growing trends and what the future holds.
The Video Interview Series by Retail Insider is available on YouTube.
Connect with Mario Toneguzzi, a veteran of the media industry for more than 40 years and named in 2021 a Top Ten Business Journalist in the world and the only Canadian – to learn how you can tell your story, share your message and amplify it to a wide audience. He is Senior News Editor with Retail Insider and owner of Mario Toneguzzi Communications Inc. and can be reached at email@example.com.
Interviewed this episode:
Like, Share and Subscribe to Mario Toneguzzi on YouTube!
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mariotoneguzzi/
- Instagram: @MarioToneguzzi
- Twitter: @MTone123
Also check out the other series offered by Retail Insider, including The Weekly podcast and The Interview Series, which are both available on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Podcasts, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Simplecast and other podcast players.
Follow Retail Insider:
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/Retail-Insider
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RetailInsider/
- Twitter: @RetailInsider_
- Instagram: @Retail_Insider_Canada
Share your thoughts!