Roots has just announced that it will open a flagship store in the former Gap Kids retail space at 80 Bloor Street West in Toronto. Roots will be about 6,500 square feet and is scheduled to open in May, 2014.
Despite receiving a press release discussing three Roots flagships, we’ve created this separate article for its new Bloor Street store since we were initially informed that Roots had leased the considerably smaller retail space across the street at 89 Bloor Street West (and not at 80 Bloor, as we now know). We’re not sure if Roots plans on opening a concept in the space or if it even intends on opening there, at all.
Holt Renfrew will replace Roots’ 100 Bloor Street location with a 15,000+ square foot men’s store.
Roots’ lease at 80 Bloor Street West will only last for a few years, however. 80 Bloor’s owner plans to eventually demolish the entire building, replacing it with about 37,000 square feet of retail space below a tall residential tower.
- Roots will open at 89 Bloor St. W. in Toronto
- Roots is 40 years old today – and it’s closing its Toronto flagship on Bloor
- 37,000 sq ft of luxury retail coming to Toronto’s 80 Bloor Street West
- Possible significant addition to Toronto’s luxury retail scene: 100 Bloor West
- Holt Renfrew to replace Toronto’s Roots flagship with a men’s store