New Canadian retailer rooms + spaces is rolling out its concept across the country with grand openings in August.
The Canadian-owned home and décor retail brand in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Newfoundland also features a Toys”R”Us shop in shop.
rooms + spaces is a subsidiary of Putman Investments.
“The opening of our 24 new rooms + spaces stores across the country shows the strength of Canadian-owned retail,” said Doug Putman. “We saw an opportunity in the market to create an enjoyable in-store shopping experience across the home goods category and that is exactly what our new stores deliver.”
rooms + spaces was created by Canadian entrepreneur Putman, who has bought and transformed iconic brands globally, including Toys”R”Us and Babies”R”Us and Sunrise Records in Canada. More than 500 store associates have been hired across the 24 rooms + spaces stores across Canada, which accounts for more than 800,000-square feet of retail space.
The stores are in spaces formerly occupied by Bed Bath & Beyond and buybuyBABY storefronts.
Greg Dyer, President, rooms + spaces, said the company is excited to bring a new shopping experience to customers “that makes it easy to find inspiration and see how products will look in different spaces throughout the home.”
He said 18 stores have already opened with six more opening in the next eight weeks.
“You can expect more coming for sure,” he said of the retailer’s future plans beyond the first 24 stores. “I’m not committing to a time period on that but yes we have plans for significantly more stores.”
Dyer said stores range in size from 20,000 square feet to 38,000 square feet. Typically, the ideal space is about 25,000 to 26,000 square feet.
“We have seen a great response since we began to open our doors across Canada and look forward to welcoming our customers in store for our grand opening celebrations,” he said.
“We have worked closely with our vendors to build a product assortment that caters to the design preferences and lifestyles of Canadian consumers. We have an exciting lineup of products from both new and well-known brands we know our customers will love.
“We have done a very slow opening so people are trying to figure out who we are but very, very positive about the assortment, the way we’ve laid out the store, giving people room to shop. I think they’re just learning now the spectrum of Canadian assortment . . . It’s very much a Canadian perspective on what Canadians are looking for and we have great partnerships with Canadian vendors and suppliers who really know the Canadian assortment.”
With a focus on supporting Canadian businesses, over 80 per cent of rooms + spaces vendors will be from Canada. Each store also features a 1,500 to 2,500-square-foot Toys”R”Us shop in shop.
rooms + spaces store locations and grand opening dates include:
- Kelowna: Orchard Plaza, 1876 Cooper Road (Grand Opening: August 26)
- Langley: Langley City Square, 19860 Langley Bypass (Grand Opening: To be confirmed.)
- Vancouver: 1740 West Broadway (Grand Opening: August 19)
- Victoria: Mayfair Shopping Centre, 775 Finlayson Street (Grand Opening: August 26)
- Calgary: Brentwood Village, 3630 Brentwood Road NW (Grand Opening: August 26)
- Calgary: Chinook Station, 306 Glenmore Trail SW (Grand Opening: August 26)
- Edmonton: South Edmonton Common, 2021 98 Street NW (Grand Opening: August 26)
- Edmonton: West Edmonton Mall, 8882 170 Street NW (Grand Opening: August 26)
- Regina: Grasslands Shopping Centre, 4855 Gordon Road (Grand Opening: August 26)
- Saskatoon: Preston Crossing, West, 1709 Preston Avenue North (Grand Opening: August 26)
- Belleville: Bell Front Shopping Centre, 366 North Front Street (Grand Opening: August 26)
- Brantford: Brantford Bell Centre, 221 Henry Street (Grand Opening: To be confirmed.)
- Cambridge: Smartcentres Cambridge, 70 Pinebush Road (Grand Opening: August 26)
- Newmarket: Green Lane Centre, 18126 Yonge Street (Grand Opening: August 26)
- Kitchener: The Boardwalk, 225 The Boardwalk (Grand Opening: August 26)
- London: Westwood Center, 3325 Wonderland Road South (Grand Opening: To be confirmed.)
- Richmond Hill: Bayview Ridge Shopping Centre, 225 High Tech Road (Grand Opening: August 26)
- Stittsville: 5487 Hazeldean Road (Grand Opening: August 26)
- Stoney Creek: Heritage Greene, 1783 Stone Church Road East (Grand Opening: August 26)
- Whitby: Thickson Ridge Power Centre, 1650 Victoria Street East (Grand Opening: To be confirmed.)
- Woodbridge: RioCan Colossus Centre of Woodbridge, 67 Colossus Drive (Grand Opening: August 12)
- Dartmouth: Dartmouth Crossing, 45 Lemlair Row (Grand Opening: To be confirmed.)
- Fredericton: Corbett Centre, 15 Trinity Ave. Building C (Grand Opening: To be confirmed.)
- St. John’s: The Village Shopping Centre, 430 Topsail Road (Grand Opening: August 26)
Related Retail Insider Articles
- Doug Putman Acquires Bed Bath & Beyond Leases in Canada to Launch New Home Retail Concept [Interview]
- Toys”R”Us and Babies”R”Us Canada Expand Footprint with New Store Launches in Former Bed Bath & Beyond Locations [Interview with Doug Putman]